Our pool. Our community. Our voices!
Some of us worried given the impact of COVID-19, but Mayor Wheeler kept his promise in his proposed budget:
The Mayor’s Proposed Budget includes $480,000 in one-time General Fund resources to fund three full-time staff (3.0 FTE) to continue operations at Columbia Pool through FY 2020-21. (p. 95)
What’s next for Columbia Pool? A community conversation Saturday, May 9 at 9:00 am
The pool may have funding, but none of us can swim thanks to COVID-19. Join a virtual meeting to talk about what’s next for Columbia Pool and how we can support each other as a community.
Can we achieve some of the things that Columbia Pool provided us, even when it is closed? What questions, concerns and priorities do we have about re-opening? What does the long term future look like now for swimming on the peninsula? We may have more questions than answers, but asking is a start. Portland Parks representatives have also been invited to join the conversation.
The meeting will be hosted using an online platform. You can log in or dial in. The meeting platform will open 20 minutes early to allow for troubleshooting. Patience with the technology will be much appreciated, as it will surely challenge us!
JOIN BY BROWSER
Meeting number (access code): 627 230 850
Meeting password: Swimtime!
JOIN BY PHONE: 408-418-9388
Your voice makes a big difference! Take action today—here’s how:
Call • Email • Submit comments • Show up • Spread the word • Join
Call your representatives
It takes just a few minutes to call and tell the city you oppose this unfair proposal. Please call the below officials. Not sure what to say? This sample call script can help.
- Ted Wheeler, Mayor: 503-823-4127
- Chloe Eudaly, Commissioner: 503-823-4682
- Amanda Fritz, Commissioner: 503-823-3008
- Jo Ann Hardesty, Commissioner: 503-823-4151
Email your representatives
Let the mayor and commissioners know what the pool means to you—and why you demand that the city keep it open. Unsure what to write? This sample email template can get you started or use the template letter from the Save Columbia Pool Coalition
- Ted Wheeler – Mayor, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Chloe Eudaly – Commissioner, chloe@PortlandOregon.gov
- Amanda Fritz – Commissioner, email@example.com
- Jo Ann Hardesty – Commissioner, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Official contact email for Portland Parks and Recreation, ParksBudget@portlandoregon.gov
Submit a comment on the budget
Use the city’s online form to voice your dissent on this proposed budget cut.
Spread the word
This proposed closure would be a massive blow to North Portland, as well as negatively impact Portlanders across the city. Spread awareness and ask your neighbors and friends to speak out!
- Spread the word on social media with #SaveColumbiaPool—we’ll signal-boost your posts!
- Join our Facebook group, and follow us on Twitter and Instagram—share and like posts to get the word out
Consider joining Friends of Columbia Park and becoming a Friend to show your support for our park and pool. You can also choose to contribute as a member. Your membership contribution will help support working with a coalition to Save Columbia Pool.